MODULE ONE: WHAT IS ECO DHARMA?
Mari Rhydwen is a Zen Roshi and teacher for the Zen Group of Western Australia, writer and climate activist. Mari will introduce the concept of eco-dharma and explore the relationship between Buddhist practices, meditation, environmental issues and activism. We will discuss how Buddhist practices can guide us in facing an ecological crisis that threatens all life on earth. Subhana Barzaghi is a Zen Roshi, Insight Dharma teacher, Director of the Insight Meditation Institute and climate activist.
Subhana will introduce Joanna Macy’s work from ‘Active Hope’ which outlines a spiral of the practices that reconnect: coming from gratitude, honouring our pain for the world, seeing with new eyes and going forth with active hope, wise and compassionate action.
Zen Teachers Subhana Barzaghi & Mari Rhydwen will be joined by experts in the fields of ecology, mindfulness, psychology, economics, Buddhist ethics and activism to explore how we can participate in charting a positive way forward to address the current climate crisis.
The course is open to everyone and you can join in from wherever you are via Zoom.
The aims of the Eco-dharma training are:
- to honour our intent to protect the earth and all beings
- to create the space for reflecting on the difficult feelings in response to the destruction of our natural world
- to encourage open dialogue, reflective inquiry and embodied practices to support deep learning and collective action
- to increase our active engagement with the world by cultivating clarity, courage integrity and compassion
- to deepen our relationship with nature and promote life sustaining systems and culture
- to be guided by the Buddha Dharma in responding to this ecological emergency
- to support an eco-dharma community
Dates for 2021
Week 1: 18 March 2021: What is Eco Dharma?
Week 2: 25 March 2021: A Scientific Update
Week 3: 1 April: Honouring Our Pain for the World
Week 4: 15 April: Seeing with New Eyes and Deep Listening
Week 5: 22 April: Seeing with New Eyes and Deep Listening
Week 6: 29 April: Addressing Big Picture Issues
Week 7: 6 May: Low Carbon Living and Deep Adaptation to Climate Change
Week 8: 13 May: Going Forth with Mindful Communication and Wise Action